Saturday 18 October 2008

Delicious - excellent CAS, poor networking

Set up delicious account, added my blogs & some bookmarks.

I'm not so worried about 'portable bookmarks': not only do I keep my Firefox bookmarks saved on a USB stick, but I also would not wish to share all of them for privacy reasons. However, I can see how it would be useful for libraries wishing to share with clients.

I also added certain delicious tags to my RSS newsreader - an excellent current awareness tool.

However, the social networking side is poor as it very difficult to find others user names, there is no 'search by email address/contacts' as for eg. Facebook. The delicious forums state that they are looking into this but they have privacy concerns - this could be solved easily by adding an opt in choice within user profiles...

1 comment:

MarkP said...

I took a further look at Social Bookmarking sites & note that Digg allows searching for users by email address (for those that have opted in) while Delicious does not. Perhaps will go with Digg...